Metabolism and Weight: Stop Guessing. Start Measuring
Metabolism is the process by which your body converts what you eat and drink into energy. Even when you're at rest, your body needs energy for all its "hidden" functions, such as breathing, circulating blood, adjusting hormone levels, and growing and repairing cells.
With the rise in obesity, diabetes and heart disease, it’s evident that many struggle with weight loss. Getting your metabolism measured can help you achieve your nutrition and weight goals.
Resting Metabolic Rate, or RMR, is the amount of calories (energy) your body uses each day without activity. It varies from person to person and depends on many factors you’re your genetics, gender, age, as well as your diet.
Things That Affect Your Metabolic Rate:
- Muscle: More muscle increases your RMR.
- Age: RMR decreases with age.
- Meal: Small regular meals will increase your RMR.
- Frequent crash dieting: It can decrease your RMR.
- Supplements: Some supplements can raise your RMR.
Easily Measure Your RMR With Our MedGem Device
The MedGem is an easy-to-use, FDA-approved handheld device that accurately measures oxygen consumption (VO2), which determines RMR. This method is called indirect calorimetry, and represents the exact number of calories a person needs at rest each day. Do you a lot of calories? Or should you cut back dramatically? Your RMR number will help guide your daily caloric intake to help you lose weight!
The MedGem measurement is easy to obtain and takes less than 15 minutes. To do the test, you sit in a quiet and relaxed environment wearing a nose clip while breathing into a mouthpiece.
On the day of your appointment, make sure you adhere to do the following:
- Do not consume any food products for 4 hours prior to your appointment.
- Do not consume any caffeinated beverages (coffee, soda, energy drinks, etc.) for 4 hours prior to your appointment. Water is ok.
- Avoid any strenuous physical activities (vigorous running, strength training, etc.) for 4 hours prior to your appointment.
- Abstain from all tobacco products 1 hour prior to your appointment.
- Continue taking all prescribed medications as indicated.
Watch the video below to see the MedGem in action on The Biggest Loser television program.