With the holidays here, this is the time of year when sticking to a healthy diet can be most challenging. These 5 tips will help you to avoid overdoing it.
- Step on a scale once a week. Same scale, same time, same day of the week. Try Monday morning after emptying your bladder. This will let you know how off or on you are on your plan.
- Drink more water. If you drink 1 gallon of water every day, research shows that metabolism will increase. If you drink when you’re craving junk food, this will satisfy your brain’s thirst center but also satisfy your hunger cravings.
- Portion control. At the buffet table, make sure half your plate is full of vegetables. Non-starchy vegetables are filled with vitamins and minerals and more importantly, fiber, which makes you feel full quicker.
- Save the salad and give your leftover desserts to guests. When it comes to fighting temptation for sweets, will power diminishes the longer you have sweets around the house.
- Remember to take your supplements! In this winter weather and holiday season, everyone should be on at least a good quality multivitamin, Vitamin D and fish oil like our Omega Pro.
Don’t despair. Don’t worry about additional pounds you may put on, or some other problems. It’s just another meal. Focus on the real meaning of the holidays and you’ll quickly see that family and friends are at the center. Take advantage of this time with your loved ones, and look forward to talking and being with those who you care about, rather than focusing on food. If you need extra help, however, we can help you lose weight, feel better, and get more energy.
Michael Corsilles, ND, PA-C